Seattle Teacher Experiences Mission in El Salvador

I teach a class called “Individuals and Societies” and Religion to 8th Graders at St. Luke Catholic School in the Seattle Archdiocese. I feel fortunate to teach these two subjects because they are essential for developing empathy and understanding and help students make global connections through their faith. Last year I was a bit down because of issues and scandals the church was dealing with. On a particularly down day I opened my school email expecting the usual litany of school reminders, parent concerns, etc. but the very first email was from Maryknoll with a call to mission and a list of opportunities for teachers. After a moment of reflection I started the application process. My principal, family, and Maryknoll were super supportive and a few months later I was on my way to El Salvador to spend a week with a group of incredible like-minded people. We had a wonderful mix of deacons, priests, teachers, catechists, and other dedicated lay people. There were a few comedians as well!

Rosemary Conroy - Saint Romero celebration
 March 2019,  El Salvador 
I discovered that the core of missionary work isn’t material things like building a hospital or a school but is about relationships and can be as basic as being present to the community or simply listening to others. My most profound moments were listening because I was able to experience God in a new way and from a new perspective.  I realized that people take care of their physical needs almost by rote actions but sometimes the spiritual needs of an individual are put on the back burner.  My Maryknoll experience in El Salvador was a booster shot of faith made even more valuable because it was shared with others who looked toward incorporating it into their ministries. I returned to school cemented once again in my faith and fueled with a new enthusiasm to bring that globally aware faith back to Seattle and share it with my students.

Imagine my joy this week when my principal brought in new religion textbooks.  I immediately started previewing and was so elated when I discovered that every lesson had a mission component designed to involve students and help them empathize and relate to others. It was my Maryknoll immersion experience that helped me to know what to look for in a contemporary curriculum.  I want my students to be engaged in both the local community and globally. More importantly, I want them to pursue lives of purpose based upon the Gospel messages of inclusion, peace, justice, and love for people everywhere in our world.  My Maryknoll experience was transformative for me and I am positive it will impact my students as well! 

Comments