Valeria shares her Bolivia Immersion Experience

Go Everywhere in the World and Tell the Good News to Everyone (Mark 16:15) By Valeria Flores from Yakima, WA

I was more than blessed to have had the opportunity to go on Maryknoll’s immersion trip to Bolivia in 2019. I was nervous and excited about the trip as departure day drew near. I was in constant prayer and reflection as I prepared for the trip to Bolivia. During my preparation and as I boarded planes at various airports to get to Bolivia, I asked God to give me wisdom and understanding of what he wanted of me from this trip.  God gave me more than I ever expected. Days before my trip I read the Bible verse Sirach 51: 13-30 which brought up many emotions and reflections.  

When I was changing planes in Chile I spent several hours waiting for the Bolivia connection I sat on the benches in one of the waiting rooms and I began to pray the rosary and I then fell asleep. When I woke up I felt a peace within me-- it felt like I had slept long hours. A few hours later we had to board the plane and I got to sit with a young Bolivian woman who was so nice. It was a blessing and joy as she welcomed me to Bolivia as we were landing. 

Receiving the welcome of the Jesuit Priest in Santa Cruz de la Sierra was truly a blessing, and once the whole immersion group got there the following day it was amazing to meet all of them. It quickly felt like I had known them for years. During our stay, we spent time with the youth group and church community and it was impressive the unity we saw and a true reflection of God’s love.  The visit to the Jesuit Missions at St. Francisco Xavier and Concepcion surprised me by all the history behind it. I was impressed with the structure of the church and the details and textures and the significance and reason behind each design and its relation to the faith.


During the second week of the immersion trip, it was amazing to visit different parts of Cochabamba such as Cristo de la Concordia and the convent museum of St. Therese in Cochabamba where we learned the history and what life was like for St. Therese and the other sisters who lived there. 

The community from Maryknoll in Bolivia was very welcoming and I learned a lot from the presentations they gave. I found interest in learning about mother earth in Bolivia, where it’s called “Pachamama” and learning what mother earth means to them-- why it’s so important. Equally, each part of the ritual and being part of the ritual was moving. During a parade for the Virgin of Urkupina, it was impressive to see other aspects of the culture, but especially the sacrifice of those that are part of the procession, dancing to mother earth in thanksgiving her for all she has given them from childhood to old age.

One of the most significant parts of the Bolivia immersion was visiting the centers where children can receive help on their homework. The short time that I was there I learned so much from the children, but I also saw the realities of their lives. I was so moved by the happiness, love, and joy of the children but also the respect and humbleness. I had the opportunity to tour the center and the children are full of talent as they learned to do creative arts and crafts, including knitting, and those who had singing talent, such as one little girl who sang  the song from Frozen “Let it Go”.

The immersion trip to Bolivia has allowed me to see a different reality and culture but I especially hold the love, joy from the people, and friendships that we created. I left Bolivia with a different perspective; I see things differently now, being extra thankful and valuing the things in life. I hope to have the opportunity to visit Bolivia again as it was an amazing place and experience, and I encourage you to go on an immersion trip to Bolivia. “Oh, taste and see that the Lord is good: blessed is the one who trusts in Him” Psalm 34:8. Blessings!

Comments